Saturday 8 August 2015

What will the SNP do if there's nobody left to play with?

Far be it from me to belittle the monumental  SNP wins in council elections - and I won't - because it truly is a considerable accomplishment. Especially hot on the heels of the elected 56.  I think my concerns mainly lie with a monopoly. The autonomy of one party.

We have recently questioned the duopoly of Westminster which is now clearly becoming a monopoly - yet we glory in the one party having sole power in Scotland?

Are we pleased because it's the SNP being elected or are we happy because we perceive our votes as "we showed it to them" victories. Now, if it's the latter I take it you mean SNP against Tory and Labour and not Scot versus Scot? Because if it is a case of retribution on political parties - then bide your time - history has a habit of repeating itself.

Just take a look at the USA who, it would seem, think it's acceptable to have a misogynistic, racist as a party leader. "At least he speaks his mind" I've read.
So did another leader and look what happened there! We should not laugh at the possibility of this happening either, please put it into perspective and remember if Donald Trump does become the elected President, he is the leader of the free world and will work directly with Heads of State, and will have ultimate control of weapons of mass destruction.

Oh heavens the thought sends appalling shivers through me when he decides to say "you're fired" to China!

Tangent over.... Now, back to my problem with monopoly and, no, not the board game! An overall majority, as we can witness from the Tory government, means the effortless passing of acts ad infinitum. Oh yes there are the debates, but they're a bit like the child asking to stay up late, we already know what the answer will be, the child doesn't and therefore puts forward a decent argument "it's not fair, all my friends get to stay up after 10" or "I promise to do my chores, walk the dog, I'll even play with my little brother and not complain". The mother may listen to that one bargaining chip but ultimately her decision of "no" is final.

The same goes for a parliamentary monopoly.

I have never followed the SNP blindly, when I first started paying membership they were reported as the "no hope" party because it was always Labour who were elected, and I do not agree with every policy. They have many questionable facts in their proposals that must be addressed and in becoming the only party, tell me, who will debate them? Who will tell them their financial forecasts are dubious. That there are Scots who don't want independence. That their education policies are not the best. That the S.NHS needs more funding? That Police Scotland was a bad idea and needs further development.

I'm delighted the SNP win, I believe it is reflective of a people who welcome change in an uncertain future and have put their trust in politicians they never believed in before, at the same time turning from those they did, in the hope that some - I am talking about politicians - some promises will be fulfilled.

However, if elections continue to result as the councils in Aberdeen and Glasgow, in the end the SNP will have nobody but the electorate to respond to - perhaps, at last, there might be a government who actually listen to the very people who gave them power?


No comments:

Post a Comment